John Lennon biopic comes together

August 30, 2008

John Lennon

Source: Lone Tortoise Blogspot - Tutorials in cartoon and caricature Thursday, 16 August 2007 Project: John Lennon

‘Nowhere Boy’ will track early years, rise to fame
By Stuart Kemp
Aug 29, 2008, 04:00 AM ET

LONDON — The story of John Lennon is headed for the big screen with “Nowhere Boy,” a biopic that will be directed by visual artist Sam Taylor-Wood.

Produced by U.K. shingle Ecosse Films, the script from “Control” screenwriter Matt Greenhalgh will focus on the Beatle’s childhood and subsequent journey to icon status. Filming is set to take place on location in Lennon’s hometown of Liverpool.

Greenhalgh’s script details the story of Lennon as a lonely teenager growing up as his aunt and the mother who gave him up fight for his love. His only escape is music, art and his fateful friendship with Paul McCartney.

Casting for the major roles “is under way,” the backers said of the project that is being co-developed with the U.K. Film Council.

Continue reading here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Filed under:In the News

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Ron Tocknell (3 comments) August 30, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Re: The caricature of Lennon:
No problem, SonDan. I’m honoured that you chose to use it. I’m also grateful to you for reminding me of the Lone Tortoise blog, which I’d forgotten that I even started.

Interesting about the Lennon film. Well overdue to my mind. I’ll look forward to seeing how they handle it.

Ron

sondan (89 comments) August 30, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Thank you very much Ron. I appreciate your generosity in allowing me to use your awesome caricature!

You are so right that this is a long overdue project. Not only have we longed for a Lennon biopic — but some of the other icons of Rock such as Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix — are long overdue to get a major motion picture treatment of their lives as well.

BTW you must be awfully busy to forget your blog (LOL).

Here’s one more hug and my regards.

SonDan

Ron Tocknell (3 comments) August 31, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Not so much busy as old and scatter-brained :o)

Yes. A lot of the pioneers of rock have led pretty astonishing lives. One obvious contender for this is Bob Dylan (although I suspect we’ll have to wait until he shuffles off his mortal coils as I understand he’s rather resistant to this sort of thing). Chuck Berry might also be a little resistant as I think his past is somewhat less than saintly.

As for Lennon, I’ve been expecting a biopic ever since his death. I think there’s one helluva story there.

Good blog.

Ron

sondan (89 comments) September 1, 2008 at 12:56 am

Hi Ron ;-)

I would certainly go see a Dylan biopic since I know virtually nothing about his life other than his great talent.

Now Chuck Berry might have had some struggles, but I think his story would surely be dramatic and could be told from the point of how Berry overcame his hurdles whether self-imposed or not. But you could be right in thinking that he might not want to tell the bad with the good.

But it sure would be great if he were to agree to participate in the making of such a movie so that the truth (and not the gossip) could be told –

like with the Ray Charles biopic that RC got to be involved in before his passing. What an awesome film! Ray made sure that his warts and all were show — nothing was hidden.

I think that is why we will never see an Aretha biopic while she is alive — she will not let the pure unvarnished truth be told of her dysfunctional upbringing. Such a shame too because “overcoming” is a lesson that the youth of today need to hear.

Speaking of Mr. Berry — he was actually a guest performer here in the states on the Jay Leno Tonight show this past Friday and he looks to be in great health and still could play the heck out of his guitar. What a legend!

Oops — I can get long winded so I will sign off now. Looking forward to both the Lennon and Marvin Gaye stories on the big screen soon.

Thanks for your input and comments Ron.
Please don’t be a stranger here.

SonDan

Ron Tocknell (3 comments) September 1, 2008 at 2:53 am

Ah! The problems with being an icon, eh? Everybody wants to sniff your armpit.

As much as I’d queue to see a good biopic, I quite understand why a subject would not want to co-operate.

Ron

sondan (89 comments) September 1, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Touche’

Enjoy the rest of you week.

SonDan